There are no products in your cart. Perhaps the item you chose is sold out.
Lionel NHRR Passenger Coach #1127
The PBn cars: Nos. 1127 and 1220
These cars were constructed as part of two separate orders, No. 1220 in 1922 and No. 1127 in 1924.
Similar in style to their slightly older sisters, both came new to the Reading with more modern looking, for the time period, rounded “Turtleback” style roofs instead of the older “Clerestory” style. In addition, the interior walls originally came without decorative mahogany woodwork, with the NHRR shop later adding some in No. 1127 to match the older fleet.
In 1930, the Reading replaced the original “Commonwealth” style trucks (wheel assemblies) on No. 1127 with more flexible “Taylor” style trucks for testing purposes. This led the railroad to order the new self-propelled, electric-powered passenger cars with the latter truck design, which was found to be better equipped at handling fast acceleration. No. 1127 was the only locomotive-hauled coach to receive “Taylor” trucks and still rides upon them in the modern era.
Between 1959 and 1964, No. 1127 was regularly used in consists for the Reading’s steam-powered Iron Horse Rambles through Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware.
Both Nos. 1127 and 1220 were operated in commuter service into the mid-1960s, their last runs for the Reading taking place on the nearby Newtown Branch.
After retirement by the Reading, both were acquired from the St. Clair, PA storage line between 1966 and 1967 for excursions by the Valley Forge Scenic Railroad of Kimberton, PA. Located about four miles from historic Valley Forge Park, this company ran excursions similar to those of the NHRR over a portion of the Reading Company’s former Pickering Valley Branch. During their short time at Kimberton, both were repainted and renumbered for their new owner, with No. 1127 becoming VFSR No. 1776 and No. 1220 becoming VFSR No. 1775. The name Pickering Valley was also applied to the sides of No. 1220 during its time on the Valley Forge.
Following the closure of the Valley Forge Scenic Railroad in 1970, both cars were acquired by the NHRR, joining several of their former Reading sisters on the Bucks County shortline. Since their arrival, both cars have been in consistent service.
No specifications found
- Weight 3628
- Size X 60
- Size Y 20
- Size Z 10